GOP Lawmaker Predicts No Budget for 2017

NGAUS Washington Report

(March 29, 2016) Rep. Tom Cole, R-Okla., says a continuing resolution is likely next year as House Republicans seem unable to agree on a budget for fiscal 2017. Cole, who made the remarks on C-SPAN last week, is a member of the House Budget Committee.

“I think that’s more likely than not,” he said, according to a report in Defense News.

Under a continuing resolution, the budget of the previous fiscal year would remain in place. No new programs would be funded, causing a hardship for the Pentagon, for example. It could not plan for training, education programs or new acquisitions.

Cole said his committee leans toward going along with the two-year budget plan hammered out in 2015 by President Barack Obama and Congress. That plan set the fiscal 2017 budget at $1.07 trillion.

But fiscal hawks among House Republicans want to cut $30 billion to reach budget caps set earlier but eased by the deal between Obama and Boehner.

Cole said those Republicans are “asking for things that would be difficult for the House speaker and our own leadership to promise.” He said the next president should not have to worry “about writing a new budget because we didn’t get our job done.”